Monday, December 31, 2007

A long time ago....

Sometimes I wake up with a sackful of butterflies in my stomach anticipating a surprise test.
Sometimes when I close my eyes, I am standing outside the gate to Sky lawns parking my cycle, thinking whether to have the veg mayonnaise sandwich or the chilli cheese one.
Sometimes when the cold Ahmedabad breeze caresses my face, I am sitting on the wall in the freezing January fog with a cup of coffee sending piercing pangs of warmth through the woolen gloves on my palms.
Sometimes when I am sitting at Chai gate with my friends, having Laloo's ginger laced chai served a sipful in a cute little ceramic cup, I am sitting at Nagarji's redi having sam chat and coffee with another group of friends.
Sometimes when the day ends in Ahmedabad, the lights go on in C'not and the pigeons return to roost on the Pigeon path.
Sometimes when I am in the auto waiting at the traffic lights amidst the chaotic city traffic, I am riding my cycle like crazy in the middle of the road, my hands off the handlebar, concerned friends in pursuit shrieking their disapproval.
Sometimes when I am brushing my teeth standing at the washbasin, the mirror reflects the Rajasthani dhobin with the paloo pulled all the way over her face.

Sometimes I don't know where I am...
Sometimes I don't know what I am to whom...
I didn't leave a part of me behind in that place....I just carried a part of that place inside me, into this place... into this time.

12 comments:

Shivani Gakhar said...

They might pain... but aren't you sometimes glad your memories are so vivid? I haven't felt that way for any place till now... But maybe its the other way.. the more vivid your memories are, the more you'll crave for those days.... what do you think?
By the way, happy new year... hope this year's vivid memories were pleasant :)

Neelam Prabhugaonker Shetye said...

@shiv: like they say, good memory is both a blessing and a curse :|
i dont if i crave for the place because the memory is vivid or whether the memory is vivid cos i crave for that place. i think its the latter !!!!

H.S. said...

Have you noticed that the best thing about memory is that it retains mostly the good things which then come back to haunt you?:)

And i loved the line about the mirror and palloo - i had imagined that once too and found it uncanny to read it here.

Neelam Prabhugaonker Shetye said...

@hems: oh wowie our telegraphic connection exists in our haunting memories too !!! :))
yeah...in retrospect everythin seems so nice....

Neelam Prabhugaonker Shetye said...

@hems: *that had to be telepathic n not telegraphic :))

H.S. said...

:))
I had guessed, Neelam :D

Unknown said...

last line... touchy and oh-so-true! :)

Neelam Prabhugaonker Shetye said...

@cj: yeah...i guess we all feel the same..... :((

varun koundinya said...

neelam.. i guess each one of us knowingly or unknowingly carries a part of that place inside us. the place we miss and treasure for the rest of our lives...
every evening, with each cup of coffee at work, my thoughts race back to those evening sessions at naagarji's. And every movie at a multiplex reminds me of that wonderful chaos at audi....
indeed, i realise, i carry a part of that place inside me...

Neelam Prabhugaonker Shetye said...

@varun: bingo....i think naagarji is a part of everybody's memories....!!!! :))
but seriously....its amazing how much those 4 years mean to u all thruout your life..

YamZz..! said...

wow..!Sometimes I feel is it only me? whats in this place..that i think of it even after soo long. when i come across things like this I feel better..bitter,happy:)

ps:The most vivid memory of dhobin didi for me atleast is ..her knocking the room door..litterally plungin me outa my slumber..DIDI..KAPDEY DOOO!:P.

Neelam Prabhugaonker Shetye said...

@ypa: LOL...oh yeah how i can forget the dhobin didi knockin on the door on sunday mornings. i used to get sooooo bugged.
i think its about the people more than the place.....