Thursday, June 25, 2009

mid-afternoon reality check...

As a child, I would often chase the little yellow butterflies and pinch their wings between my two tiny chubby fingers. i loved the powdery yellow trails they left on my fingers...
I would run barefeet on the fuming mid-summer afflicted roads to get my hands on those elusive dragonflies. They would twist, turn, dodge, accelerate and whirrrr away in a split-second. But then I would stealthily catch them unawares and tie a string to their tails. I loved to feel the vibrations in my fingers as they pulled on the strings with noisy protests...
Rainy musty twilights would bring the fireflies out in hordes. They would come out of their hiding places and sit on the grass, lighting tiny lamps under the beads left behind by the rains on the blades of the grass. I would sneak behind them, cupping my tiny hands to cut off the light from the world, and lift them up with a gentleness almost incapable of a child. And then transfer them carefully into a transparent empty camera-film can. When I had them all in there, I would retreat to a dark corner with my own little 'lamp' where the tiny fireflies shone just for me.

Looking back after almost two decades...I feel I haven't really changed much...

9 comments:

Shivani Gakhar said...

why you still torture insects or what?? :P

Neelam Prabhugaonker Shetye said...

@shiv : hmmmm...that too :D :p

H.S. said...

Ooh!the sudden increase in posts! me likey :)

bhavin said...

very nice... and congrats for keeping the child within you active!!! :)
read this
http://besigns.blogspot.com/2009/06/child-within-us.html

Anonymous said...

hmm...scary

Neelam Prabhugaonker Shetye said...

@hems: me likey too....:) jus feel like writing these days....

@bhavin: thanks :)..but the point of the post was really smthing else...


@morgan: u find all my posts scary..don't u ???? dont worry buddy..m not goin to tie a string to ur tail :p

Pratima Khadke said...

Very nice neelam.. as a chiald almost everyone used to do this..I have played with dragonflies so much the way you had mentioned.. I can really feel those moments back ..keep up the spirit ..

Aparna said...

I remember my brother and his friends doing that, i was too scared of all insects. I would also shout at them for being cruel to the poor flies. They just laughed.
I guess all this is part of growing up.
you painted a lovely picture of your childhood with your words.

Neelam Prabhugaonker Shetye said...

@pratima : thanks :) yeah i think butterflies and dragonflies are a part of everyone's childhoods.....

@aparna: well it seems all very mean now when i look back...but back then it jus felt like sooo much fun :)