Thursday, August 03, 2006

comfortably numb...

The digits on the cellphone screen show 11.55 pm. The rain is strumming on the windowsill...i hum along in a steady rythm !!! The mannequins accompany me in a silent symphony. Those eyeless, mouthless figures who are bound to their destiny by layers of fabric and flimsy thread.

There are footsteps outside. I look up from my table. No one. I am still the sole person in the room. Peace. I get back to my drawing board. The breeze blowing in through the open window is fast lulling the paint into a deep crusty sleep. I wake it up with two little drops of water..and there it is awake again..flowing with energy !!! I feel happy for no apparent reason. The paintbrush dances away in a state of inebriated bliss on the paper....its bold trail adding to my joy...snails, raindrops, swaying green fields, swirls of colour drown me....im drowning...gulping greedily...

A careless drop of paint spills on the paper...an involuntary scream echoes in the vast expanse of the room. The mannequins mock in dumb amusement...
I feel guilty...sad...and I walk to the window to watch the rain...

There are mails waiting to be read....forgotten blogs lying in dormant disconnected wait....there is a whole world out there with a 'me' shaped hole in it....but the curtain of colour has designs on me. It surrounds me, smothers me...refuses to let go and I surrender with sheer passion.

I get back to my drawing board. The digits on the cell phone have morphed into 12 shaped squiggles.

I can hear a computer keyboard tapping away furiously....in some far far away land in some remote past !!!! It seems angry, frustrated, helpless....
There is a rythmic sound fast catching up and drowing out the keyboard's cries.....
I turn around and scan the room for the source of the sound....I can't hear the keyboard anymore....the newer sound is louder now....a musical rythm floats around....and then I see it....the sewing machine...

I laugh till tears stain the paper.....but somehow I don't mind it.....!!
I think they call it midnight madness...

3 comments:

H.S. said...

I simply loved the part where the paints come alive:)
is this what you ar doing in real life as well?;)

cYb0rG said...

seems like 'tere baara baj gaye the'... :P

Neelam Prabhugaonker Shetye said...

@hems: hey...long time...
have been too busy bringing the colors to life :)) the crimsons are always too angry and the blues too depressed :D

@cyborg: the rate at which we have been getting assignments....mere sach main baara baj rahe hai yahaan :)